Six Special Sentences May 2010Reversed Worlds:An Essay about E. M. Forster's "The Other Side of the Hedge"December 15, 2009"I want to live my adult life in contented comfort, helping others and doing what I enjoy, like playing the piano or swimming or lying still in a field to watch the clouds and birds go past."
I chose this sentence because it makes me feel hopeful and happy. I sincerely hope that the future I give myself in this sentence comes true, and that is why I like this sentence so much. It is peaceful, happy, and makes me look forward to the rest of my life.
Restrained Fury:
An Essay about Maya Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
November 24, 2009
"The fact that Momma, "who owned the land [the girls]lived on, who forgot more than they would ever learn," was shown such downright indignity by these "dirty, mean, and impudent girls" made Ms. Angelou break down in tears of enmity."
I chose this sentence because I am am proud of the way I blended the quotes with sentence, and of the word "enmity," which I think was the perfect word to express my point.
Clinging to Nothing:
An Essay about Loren Eiseley's "The Brown Wasps"
November 10, 2009
I "quiver[ed] with fear in the great open sun" when I went outside that day, because my maple trees were gone, and they could not wrap me in their cooling shade, just as the creatures of the field must have felt when their world of green weeds and wildflowers was replaced with harsh, "blazing concrete."
This sentence brings back some unpleasant memories, but I think this is one of the reasons why I like it. I blended the quotes well, but I also think that I was able to strike an emotional chord with the reader. I hope that whoever reads this would feel my sadness at the loss of the beautiful trees.
Friendship
April 29, 2010
"They will be buried in your heart this Thursday."
I chose this sentence because it is short, which is unusual in my writing. I also liked it because it was surprising, and I ended think it was a successful way to end my essay.
My Second Self:
An Essay about My Sister
April 20, 2010
"When Gretchen babysat me, she was always my ally against the monsters that crept in the corners (alliteration) of my room when my parents were away. "
I chose this sentence because I used a good thesaurus word, "ally," and I also used alliteration well to make the sentence more interesting.
Love to the Rescue:
An Essay about William Shakespeare's "Sonnet #29" and My Life
February 9th, 2010
"Suffering is a part of life; it is something everyone must trudge through. "
I like this sentence because I think that I used semicolons properly. I used the semicolon to join two short, related clauses, but the sentence itself is still short and powerful.
0 comments:
Post a Comment