FINAL DRAFT Mr.Salsich English 9 October 20, 2009 An Essay about Zora Neale Hurston and Me
Positive people have a magnetism that is very affecting. People who always look on the bright side attract friends like moths to an illuminated lamp. In her essay, "How It Feels to Be Colored Me," Zora Neale Hurston's writing shows that she is one of these people with unyielding optimism, and I know for sure that I would have enjoyed her company. I am not always as positive as Zora Neale Hurston, but many people enjoy my company as well, especially because of my intriguing personality.
TS Had I known Zora Neale Hurston, I think she would have been the friend I would have constantly looked to for encouragement, optimism, and entertainment. SD Ms. Hurston exudes confidence.CM If I had been her friend, I would have soaked up that confidence, and glowed along with her. CM Being around Ms. Hurston would have pervaded me with self- assurance; heraplombsounds so certain and contagious in her essay. SD Ms. Hurston seems as though she can never be brought down, no matter how trying the circumstance; she never feels sorry for herself, because she is "too busy sharpening her oyster knife." CM I know I would have admired thisstubborn, inborn optimism - this ability to find good in everything. CM I think I would have always brought my complaints to her, and that she would have taken these complaints, stuffed them into the garbage bin, and sent me right out the door with a smile gleaming on my face; she would have always shown me the silver lining. SD Ms. Hurston would have made me laugh. CM She was not boring (two short sentences). CM I know, from the personality exhibited in the way she writes, that Ms. Hurston would have been singinganddancing and performing constantly, and all her entertaining (noun phrase with gerund) would have delighted me. CS If Zora Neale Hurston had been my friend, and I wish she had been, I would have never "den[ied] [myself] the pleasure of [her] company," and I know I would have relied on her talents for leaking light and golden charm everywhere she went.
My company is pleasurable because I am an interesting person, a girl with a unique personality and sometimes unusual view of the world, a girl with her head in the clouds but her eyes open wide to what is happening around her, a girl who tries to be kind and tolerant, a girl who cares about other people, and feels hurt of her own when she sees others hurting, a girl who loves nature, and would live in the forest with the animals if it were allowed, a girl who is always willing to help and willing to undertake something new or different, and a girl who is always trying to be happy with what she has. I am a realistic dreamer.
If I had known Zora Neale Hurston, she would have been my source for illuminating optimism. She supported everyone no matter what, and hersanguineoutlook gave her incredible poise. I would like to say the same thing about myself, but I am unsure, still trying to construct my confidence; perhaps I can use Ms. Hurston as a role model in helping me find the ability to give happiness to other people and the world. However, I do know one thing: Ms. Zora Neale Hurston would have been very pleasant company. Do you think I would be?
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Essay 4
Posted by Madeline at 7:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maddy, be on the lookout for what I call "whoery, whichery, and thatery". It's caused by using "who", "which", and "that" too often, and when they are not needed. You use "that" quite often in this paragraph, and it might not always be necessary. See what you can do about this.
Also, in this short sentence -- "She was not boring, I know" -- you might not need "I know".
Good luck!
Good work! This is a very nice essay. I especially like the concluding sentence of the second body paragraph. Although in the opening sentence of the second body paragraph you could probably leave out the "for most" bit. Also in the first paragraph check for typos such as "aplomb".
Humdinger
Morgan
Maddy,
Wow. Your paragraph is so neat, organized, and descriptive that I really can't come up with any suggestions. I absolutely LOVE your two-sentence paragraph because it flows very easily and is very clear to follow. Kudos on an AMAZING essay!
Your friend,
Julia
Post a Comment